"Given that this is the last week of summer holidays my goal this week is to maintain my numbers and enjoy our last week off together!"
This was the message I got from a coaching client during their weekly check in.... and I was so happy! This is what I call a coaching WIN!
This individual is going away for 5 days to celebrate the
end of summer with her kids & friends.
Here are a few reasons why this is a WIN!
1) She set a realistic, sustainable goal - being aware of what she wants out of the week (enjoyment) and setting macro targets to ensure that she fulfills that goal, but doesn't derail progress. If we pigeon-holed her into low, low macros.... she would likely not be successful with them due to her environment, and she would not have fun in her week. Instead, I've provided her with macros that are a win-win.
2) She clearly conveyed her weekly plan to me BEFORE commencement. Now, we have time to set the proper targets, and she can plan and prep ahead to ensure success.
3) Nutrition coaching & consulting is about SO much more than those one-time macro numbers! Your weekly check-in is so important to your continued success.
How do you make food work for YOU for LIFE?!
Everyone has different goals. The needs of a fitness-focused, busy mom, and a CrossFit games athletes differ simply my degree. Anyone will benefit from an awareness of their macronutrient intake- but it's your goals, and your dedication level that will determine your numbers, and how strict you want to adhere to them.
If someone was 5 days out from the CrossFit games - the coaching strategy for a weekend away would be quite different.
This weekend I was away at one of my best friends cottage in Muskoka. I am 4 months out from my wedding so I am tightening up my macros after a summer of maintenance macros. Think of it like starting a budget after a summer of spending. I like my body now, and enjoy my current level of fitness but I have body composition goals for the future. However, in saying this, I am not interested in sitting on the sidelines of life just to lose 2% body fat for my wedding. So, I'm making sure that I prep & track accordingly to the plans.
This weekend I employed some simple steps to ensure progress + enjoyment
1) Offered to cook breakfast: I brought the foods up for a delicious and tasty breakfast (pancakes + bacon + turkey bacon + eggs + egg whites) and the group of us prepared everything. I selected elements of the prepared meal that I could track easily - such as 3 slices of turkey bacon, 3 eggs, a few slices of pineapple & black coffee.
2) I know myself well enough that breakfast is the best time of day for me to get my protein in, and I love to snack on carbs at night. To avoid overeating, I limit my carbs in the morning simply so I can enjoy more at night.
3) Brought up the foods for dinner: It's a cottage so we all pitch in and help out - and we've got to make sure there is food for everyone! We brought all the fixings to make fajitas! Lots of chicken & veggies. Now here, I simply selected 1 chicken breast and tracked that. I didn't weigh the chicken but generally 1 chicken breast will offer the same protein content & calories. I don't track my green veggies. So it was all good!
4) Chips + s'mores at night! Told you I know myself well! The bags of chips came out around 9pm and I was ready to jump in! I had tons of carbs left and a quick glance at the nutrition info on the package told me how much I could treat myself too.
Some more tips for a successful getaway while continuing to count your macros:
Prep + weigh ahead
If you're staying local, or able to bring a good amount of food with you, weigh your lean meats and pre-chop your veggies before leaving for your vacation. Taking this time beforehand means that you can forget the scale when eating those meals - saving time, and making it easy for you to stay on track!
Set rules for drinking
Drinking your macros is a slippery slope.... drinking a bottle of red wine has about 650 calories, which equals out to a medium McDonald's cheeseburger and fries. Using our alcohol macros calculation method this would be 160g of carbs or 72g of fat! But, if you're going to be drinking then plan for it. Set some boundaries for the times you will be drinking, and pre-input it into your tracking app so you eat appropriately around it. Be sure to mix in a water!
Prepare yourself that it will be different than normal
You might not have a wifi signal, or decide not to bring your scale. Life happens, and these things shouldn't be a cue to throw everything out and binge. Don't discount the amount that you've learned thus far from all the previous portion weighing you've done. Pick lean protein sources, fill up on veggies and avoid a ton of starchy carbs. You might not be perfect, but at least you haven't given up and you can get back on track tomorrow.
We are launching something NEW! The September 21-Day Nutrition Mission Challenge starts Sept 19. Learn a whole new approach to eating that will inspire fat loss, improved energy, improved performance and a better relationship with food. Subscribe to my email list in order to be first to know on details and receive preferred pricing!
Dr. Alli Cain Team
Our mission is to act as a catalyst for as many people as possible to make a meaningful change to their health.